Albert Richardson, Architecture, Photo, Building, Project, Design, Image
Albert Richardson : Architecture
20th Century London Architect, England, UK
Albert Richardson Architect – Major Building
Bracken House, 1 Friday St, City of London, England, UK
Dates built: 1958/59
Photo of the redeveloped building:
photograph © Adrian Welch
Redeveloped by Michael Hopins Architects.
First British post-war building to be listed (after WWII)
Located just south east of St Paul’s Cathedral.
New offices were required for the Financial Times after it merged with the Financial News in 1945. The building was named after Brendan Bracken, who became Viscount Bracken in 1952.
The building was clad in pink sandstone from Hollington, Staffordshire, as an allusion to the characteristic pink colour of the newspaper, with red bricks and bronze windows, contrasting with the verdigris of the copper roof. Editorial offices were located in the northern range, beside Cannon Street, with printing machinery in an octagonal structure in the centre, and more offices to the south, by Queen Victoria Street. Above the entrance on Cannon Street is an astrological clock, decorated with the face of Winston Churchill at the centre of a large gold sunburst, designed by Frank Dobson and Philip Bentham.
Albert Richardson – Key Projects
Buildings by Albert Richardson architect, chronological:
Manchester Opera House, Manchester, North West England, UK
Date built: 1912
Ripon Cathedral building refurbishment, Ripon, Yorkshire, Northern England, UK
Date built: 1930s
North London Collegiate School, Canons Park, Edgware, Middlesex, South East England, UK
Date built: –
St Malachy’s (CoI) Parish Church – restoration, Hillsborough, County Down, Northern Ireland
Dates built: 1951-56
St Alfege’s Church – restoration, Greenwich, London
Date built: 1953
St James’s church – restoration, Piccadilly, London
Trinity House – restoration, City of London
More Buildings by architect Albert Richardson online soon
Location: London, south east England, UK
Sir Albert Richardson
Sir Albert Edward Richardson K.C.V.O., F.R.I.B.A, F.S.A.
The architect was born in 1880 (London, England) and died in 1964 (Ampthill, Bedfordshire).
Professor of Architecture at University College London
President of the Royal Academy
Architects’ Journal Editor
Georgian Group founder
The architect trained in the offices of Leonard Stokes and Frank T. Verity, who practised in the Beaux-Arts style.
1906 He established his architectural practice in 1906, in partnership with Charles Lovett Gill – the Richardson & Gill partnership. That architecture office closed in 1939 at the outbreak of the Second World War.
Survey of London Houses from 1660 to 1820: a Consideration of their Architecture and Detail (1911).
Monumental Classic Architecture in Great Britain and Ireland (1914).
picture © Nick Weall
photo © Adrian Welch
image from architects
Comments / photos for the Albert Richardson Architecture page welcome
Albert Richardson architect – page
Website: Architectural Walking Tours