Canadian Wood Awards 2017, North American Timber Building Design, Architect, Photos, Winners
2017 Wood Design & Building Awards News
Timber Architectural Prize Canada – Winners News from Canadian Wood Council
Jan 17, 2018
2017 Wood Design & Building Awards Winners
Winners of 2017 Wood Design & Building Awards
Awarding Excellence in Wood Architecture and Design
Ottawa, ON, January 17, 2018 – Wood Design & Building magazine is pleased to announce the award recipients for the prestigious 2017 Wood Design Awards program. Winning projects were selected by an esteemed architectural jury consisting of:
• Alan Organschi, Principal at Gray Organschi Architecture
• Betsy Williamson, Principal at Williamson Williamson
• Richard Bonnin, Design Principal, HGA Architects and Engineers
The Canadian Wood Council, as well as this year’s sponsors, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Western Red Cedar, and Sansin, also granted special awards. Unique to this year’s program, two special jury awards were selected, one for technical innovation and one for public art education.
Submissions to this year’s awards program were thoughtfully designed and highlight wood’s structural, aesthetic and functional qualities. The awards program is an opportunity to showcase exceptional wood buildings and serves to inspire designers to push the boundaries of what they think is possible for wood in construction.
“The awards program has been in existence for over 30 years,” explains Etienne Lalonde, Vice-President of Market Development for the Canadian Wood Council. “We’ve been continually impressed with the quality of submissions each year, and it’s a testament to the sophistication of wood products, due to improvements in technology and advancements in applications.”
Wood Design & Building magazine, in partnership with the Canadian Wood Council, extends its appreciation to all participants of the 2017 awards program, and congratulates the award recipients.
Wood Design & Building Awards 2017 Winners
The award recipients for the 2017 Wood Design & Building Awards program
All photos Courtesy of the Awards
• Audain Art Museum, Whistler, British Columbia, Patkau Architects
• Washington Fruit & Produce Company, Yakima, Washington, Graham Baba Architects
• Georgica Cove, East Hampton, New York, Bates Masi + Architects
• Casa Curved, Basel, Switzerland, Daluz Gonzalez Architekten
• Collège Jean Monnet Broons, Broons, Bretagne, France, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten and Colas Durand Architectes
• Haus B, Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, Yonder – Architektur und Design
• Elementary School Unterdorf Höchst, Höchst ,Vorarlberg, Austria, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten
• Pause, Vancouver, British Columbia, DBR / Design Build Research, Alsu Sadrieva
• Bloomberg Tech Hub, San Francisco, California, IwamotoScott Architecture
• Discovery & Services Center – Îles-de-Boucherville National Park (SÉPAQ), Québec, Smith Vigeant Architectes Inc.
• The Owsley Brown II History Center, Louisville, Kentucky, de Leon & Primmer Architecture Workshop
• National Arts Centre Rejuvenation, Ottawa, Ontario, Diamond Schmitt Architects
• Wooden Ventilation Towers, Stockholm, Sweden, Rundquist Architects
• Multi-functional Sports Hall Alice Milliat, Lyon, France, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten and Tekhnê Architectes
• Valley Villa, Vilnius, Lithuania, Arches
CANADIAN WOOD COUNCIL AWARDS
• Tanguay Trois-Rivières, Trois-Rivières, Québec, Coarchitecutre
• Courtyard House on a River, Greenwater, Washington, Robert Hutchison Architecture
SANSIN – SPONSORSHIP AWARD
• Grange Park Playground, Toronto, Ontario, PFS Studio
The project used Sansin DEC for its performance, environmentally friendly benefits, and for its ease of use, and maintenance.
Nov 11, 2017
2017 Wood Design & Building Awards
Nov 21 2017 deadline
2017 Wood Design & Building Awards is open and accepting submissions for this year’s competition. The awards is a program that recognizes excellence in wood architecture and international submissions are welcomed. Please visit the www.wooddesignawards.com for more information on how to submit the projects.
The Awards program will publicize the winning projects to architecture professionals and the public through press releases, a special awards section of magazine, the awards website, industry conferences/tradeshows, and a limited edition hardcover awards book (awarded Gold in the General Audience Book category for the EXCEL Awards).
Are you, or someone you know, involved in a project that embodies the essence of innovative wood design? Enter our 2017 Awards program for your chance to have your project(s) featured in various conferences, press releases, and highlighted in the award-winning and popularly circulated awards book and magazine.
A hand-selected jury of prominent architects from Canada and the USA review each submission and choose the award winners based on considerations such as creativity, distinctive and appropriate use of wood materials, ability to satisfy clients’ building and site requirements, and overall aesthetic appeal for the use and application of wood.
For more information please contac: Ioana Lazea or Natalie Tarini, Coordinators.
613.747.5544 ext. 227 or 225
Website: Wood Design & Building Awards official website
2016 Awards Winners
The Awards Program is a prestigious program that celebrates excellence in wood architecture.
Wood Design & Building magazine
24 + 22 Jan 2016
2015 Awards Winners
HONOR AWARDS – winning buildings and architects offices
Website: 2015 W D & B Awards Winners
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Canadian Architecture Design – chronological list
Wood Awards Winners
Wood Awards – UK Prize Scheme
Wood Awards 2008 Gold Award
Wood Awards 2008 Winner : Shetland Museum and Archives by BDP
Wood Awards 2007 Gold Award
Wood Awards 2007 Winner : Formby Pool, Lancashire, northwest England, by Feilden Clegg Bradley
Wood Awards 2003 Gold Award
The Weald & Downland Gridshell
Comments / photos for the 2017 Wood Design & Building Awards page welcome