Martinborough Architecture Photo, New Zealand Building Photo, Architects, NZ Vineyard Area
Martinborough Photographs, NZ
Buildings in South Wairarapa, Wellington region, North Island
post updated 26 Jan 2021 ; 15 Aug 2007
Photos from Aug 2007 by architect Adrian Welch, captions/more photos online soon:
Martinborough, premium wine growing area of New Zealand:
This a small but delightful community out in the countryside north of Wellington, in the South Wairarapa District.
Location: Martinborough, New Zealand
New Zealand Building Designs
New Zealand Architecture Designs – chronological list
Martinborough, South Wairarapa
Martinborough is a town in the South Wairarapa district of the Wellington region in the North Island of New Zealand. It is 65 km east of Wellington and 35 km south-west of Masterton. The town has a population of about 1300 inhabitants.
John Martin is regarded as the town’s founder and set out the first streets in the pattern of the Union Flag in the 19th century. Many of the town’s streets are named after foreign cities visited by Martin. Before Martinborough was established the southern part of the region was known as Waihenga, a point that seems to be lost at times in the history of the district. A feature is the colonial architecture, one example of which is the historic Martinborough Hotel, built in 1882.
Martinborough has a large number of vineyards producing wines, notably Pinot Noir. The town has a warm micro-climate, with hills to the east and west. Almost all the vineyards are in thin ribbons around the northern and eastern sides of the town, and on the Dry River to the south. All follow dry riverbeds, which provide appropriate soils for viticulture.
Notable wineries include Schubert Wines, Te Kairanga, Tirohana Estate, Palliser Estate Wines, Dry River, Martinborough Vineyard, Murdoch James, Ata Rangi, Craggy Range and Alana Estate. During every November, the region’s wines are celebrated in the Toast Martinborough wine festival. This event temporarily enlarges the population by 10,000.
New Zealand Building Designs – architectural selection below:
The Blyth Performing Arts Centre, Havelock North, Hastings, Hawkes Bay
Design: Stevens Lawson Architects
photograph © Mark Smith
Blyth Performing Arts Centre in Havelock North
This new building sits amidst the trees on a gentle slope near the entry to Iona College as a new symbol and public gesture of welcome. The strong sculptural language of sinuous curves and angled planes is drawn from the shapes of musical instruments and the folded landscape of Te Mata Peak.
The Chapel of St. Peter, Auckland, North Island
Design: Stevens Lawson Architects
photograph : Mark Smith
The Chapel of St. Peter in Auckland
The most potent and recognised symbol of Christianity is the cross. A symbol of atonement, it provides hope and inspiration to the faithful. The Chapel of St. Peter presents a confident and identifiable cross to its most public face signifying the buildings purpose, while providing a public message of God’s love and our salvation.
New Zealand Architecture – Selection
The Beehive – New Zealand Parliament Building Executive Wing
Design: Basil Spence architect; NZ Government designers
New Zealand Parliament Building
Corinth St House
Design: Daniel Marshall Architect
Corinth Street house
Buildings / photos for the Martinborough Architecture – South Wairarapa Buildings, Wellington Region, North Island page welcome
Website: Visit New Zealand