Kaiser Wilhelm Gedaechniskirche, Berlin Church Building, Egon Eiermann Project Photos, Design Images
Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche Berlin
Church Development Berlin design by architect Egon Eiermann / Franz Heinrich Schwechten, Germany
page updated 25 Jul 2016 ; 5 Sep 2009
Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche
Kaiser William Memorial Church
Date built: 1890s
Original Design: Franz Heinrich Schwechten ; New Design: Architect Egon Eiermann
Location: (tope end of) Kurfürstendamm, Breitscheidplatz
The original church was almost destroyed by bombs in 1943. The spire was saved and sits adjacent to the new rather sever sixties buildings.
Current church – four buildings
Date built: 1959-63
Design: Egon Eiermann, Architect
The entrance hall in the base of the damaged spire was reopened to visitors, having been consecrated in January 1987.
Architectural style: Romanesque Revival architecture
Photos © Adrian Welch
The original church on the site was built in the 1890s. It was badly damaged in a bombing raid in 1943. The present building, which consists of a church with an attached foyer and a separate belfry with an attached chapel, was built between 1959 and 1963. The damaged spire of the old church has been retained and its ground floor has been made into a memorial hall.
The Memorial Church today is a famous landmark of western Berlin, and is nicknamed by Berliners “der Hohle Zahn”, meaning “The Hollow Tooth”.
Location: Breitscheidplatz, Berlin, Germany, western Europe
Contemporary Architecture in the German Capital City
Berlin Architecture Walking Tours – city walks for groups only
Berlin Architecture Designs – chronological list
Digital Media Centre and Campus Development, Masurenallee 8-14
Design: Baumschlager Eberle Architekten
renderings : Baumschlager Eberle Architekten, bloomimages Berlin GmbH
Digital Media Centre and Campus Building in Berlin
In a negotiated procedure, the Baumschlager Eberle Architekten design won the Digital Media Centre and Campus Development project of the Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (rbb).
Berlin Hyp Bank HQ
Architects: C.F. Møller Architects
image courtesy of architects practice
Berlin Hyp Bank HQ Building
The new HQ is designed to support the banks sustainable vision, while at the same time contributing to the transition and urban development of the surrounding area.
Kurfuerstendamm 68, 10707 Berlin-Charlottenburg
Architects: tchoban voss
photograph : Klemens Renner
The Alhambra cinema palace in Berlin-Charlottenburg was built in 1921 according to the plans of the architect Max Bischoff and became known in 1922 as the premiere location of the sound movie.
Comments / photos for the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche Berlin Architecture page welcome