Torquay Street, Westminster Accommodation, Residential Tower Building, LHA London Housing

Torquay House Westminster

Residential Development in central London: Tower design by MJP Architects

19 Mar 2013

Torquay House

MJP Designed LHA London Torquay House W2 Now on Site

Design: MJP Architects

LHA Torquay House, a 13 storey, 157 room residential tower in Westminster for the LHA London charity, is currently on site and due for completion next year by UK national contractor Galliford Try. With the site cleared and construction of the substructure underway, the project is now at a key stage.

Address: 1 Torquay St, London W2 5EJ

Phone: 020 7289 5420

MJP Image of West Elevation from A40 “Westway”:
Torquay House London
image from MJP Architects

Urban Site:
The building is on a difficult but spectacular site next to the “Westway” elevated section of the A40, with magnificent views over London. The design mitigates the effects of high road noise levels and air pollution and overcomes hostile environmental conditions to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ sustainability rating. It will make a major contribution to Westminster’s Westbourne Green Masterplan for improving the neighbourhood, with the ground floor frontage, public art, and modelling and colour of the elevations enlivening the streetscape. Accessible landscaped and planted roof terraces provide resident amenity spaces on this tight urban site.

MJP’s In-house Working Model:
Torquay House London
image from MJP Architects

Communal Life:
There is strong demand in Central London for accommodation which is a step up from conventional student rooms or hostel, and 80% of the rooms therefore designed as ‘microflats’ with a larger floor area, their own kitchenettes, study areas and shower rooms. The remaining 20% are ensuite with shared kitchens. The design promotes conviviality by placing social spaces and shared facilities (residents’ gym, laundry, study areas, common rooms) in ‘hotspots’, near lifts, stairs, and at circulation nodes. These communal spaces are designed to animate both the life of the building and its architecture.

MJP Perspective Showing Façade Colour & Modelling:
Torquay House London
image from MJP Architects

Modern Methods of Construction:
Off-site fabrication is being used to maintain quality and speed up construction. The façade is pre-assembled off-site, shower rooms, kitchenettes, and stair modules are factory built, and all vertical elements of the superstructure are precast in concrete. The façade is assembled from unitised precast white concrete panels with cast-in fluted orange faïence ceramic reveals.

Bronze anodised windows are factory fitted to achieve high levels of airtightness, and the glazing has one of the lowest g-values available along with excellent acoustic insulation standards. The white concrete panels, which are lightly acid etched and which have a distinctive “riven” texture, are manufactured in Belgium by Decomo SA. Decomo have worked with the architect before, notably on St John’s College Oxford Kendrew Quadrangle.

Unitised Façade Panel Mock-up in Belgian Factory:
Torquay House Westminster
image from MJP Architects

LHA London
The charity was founded in 1940 by Baroness Spencer-Churchill and provides low cost accommodation for students and young working people. Most residents are between the ages of 18 and 30 and stay whilst they get established in the capital. MJP have previously designed the RIBA, Civic Trust and National Housing Design award-winning Friendship House for the LHA in Southwark. Within a limited budget, MJP’s design has provided a distinctive identity and an attractive living environment, which has contributed to its popularity and a continuous demand for rooms.

Torquay House London image / information from MJP Architects Limited

MJP Architects

Location: Torquay Street, Westminster, London, England, UK

London Buildings

Contemporary London Architecture Designs

London Architecture Designs – chronological list

London Architecture Tours by e-architect

London Architects Offices

London Housing

London Architecture

Contemporary Housing

Westminster Buildings
Riverwalk Building Westminster
image from architects

Westminster Academy
Westminster Academy Building
photo © Tim Soar

Westminster Offices

Housing Architecture

Westminster Sustainable Buildings

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey Building
photo © Nick Weall

Housing Designs

London Property

MacCormac Jamieson Prichard

Comments / photos for the Torquay House HousingWestminster Residential Development page welcome