Strata SE1 London, Elephant & Castle Tower, Architect, Architect, Architecture
Strata Tower, London : Elephant & Castle Building
Strata SE1 Elephant & Castle Tower London design by BFLS, England, UK
16 Nov 2010
Strata Tower – Building Award
“Innovative” Strata sweeps the board at the 2010 Concrete Awards
Strata SE1, designed by BFLS was declared the overall winner at the 2010 Concrete Society Awards, beating off competing schemes from David Chipperfield, Hopkins Architects, Caruso St John, MUMA and Alsop Architects. The judges commented: “This building is striking architecturally, a considerable feat of construction on this restricted site…”
The judges particularly cited Strata’s innovative column strategy: in order to accommodate the building’s tapering upper section and the slimmer footprint at ground level, ‘walking columns’ ensured standard storey heights whilst minimising the use of reinforced concrete.
Ian Bogle, Director at BFLS, said: “It is great to see Strata SE1 winning such a prestigious award against such respected competition.”
19 Jul 2010
Strata SE1 : Photos of the Tower
2 Jun 2010
Strata a landmark for urban living – NLA Exhibition
‘Strata SE1 – a landmark for urban living’ runs at the NLA, 26 Store St, London WC1, until 12 Jun 2010.
This exhibition celebrates London’s tallest residential tower.
At 148m, Strata SE1 – designed by Bogle Flanagan Lawrence Silver – is the tallest residential tower in Central London, providing all 408 apartments with impressive views over the capital.
The 43 storey Strata Tower project is a major catalyst for the regeneration of the Elephant & Castle area, the distinctive patterning of the triple-layer aluminium and glass façade creating a recognisable landmark on the London skyline. The integral wind turbines at the top of Strata Tower generate at least 8% of its total energy requirement.
The exhibition features one of the 4.5 metre long blades installed in the wind turbines, as well as a large 3D model of the top section of the tower:
A company leaflet with text re Strata Tower by the architecture critic of The Independent, Jay Merrick, is also available at the exhibition.
6 Apr 2010
Strata SE1, Elephant & Castle Tower
Architects : BFLS – Bogle Flanagan Lawrence Silver Ltd
Strata SE1 is a 148 metre high 43-storey residential development that creates a dynamic new landmark on the London skyline. The first building in the world with integral wind turbines, it sets a new benchmark in terms of environmental strategy.
This 408 apartment development is also a major catalyst for the ongoing regeneration of the Elephant & Castle area in central London, its modest footprint creating additional areas of public realm at ground level. The Strata Tower scheme also includes an adjacent five-storey pavilion building that will comprise residential and retail facilities.
The client’s brief challenged the design team to develop a concept that embraces energy efficiency, targeting an EcoHomes assessment rating of “excellent”. Located in one of the Mayor of London’s Energy Action Areas, Strata SE1 embraces sustainable design and the latest renewable energy technologies. The wind turbines are expected to produce 50 Mwh (Mega watt hours) of electrical power per year for the landlords supply, approximately 8% of the building’s total energy consumption.
Strata SE1 is designed for sustainable living. Sustainable aspects of Strata SE1 include:
– District heating system
– Bespoke high performing façade with an air permeability leakage rate that is 50% better than current building regulations
– Whole house ventilation system with heat recovery to each apartment (SAP Appendix Q compliant)
– Low-energy lighting in all landlord areas and 40% of the lighting in each apartment
– Absence and presence lighting control system to all landlord areas.
– Car park lighting control provided with motion detection that reduces lighting by 50% when there is no movement
– 96% recycling of all waste material generated during the construction stage
– Designed to connect ‘day one’ to the planned Elephant & Castle Multi Utility Services Company (MUSCo) district system which will provide heat and electricity from Biomass CHP energy centres, grey water to all toilets for all affordable units within Strata SE1 and a connection to the site wide fibre network, providing high speed data access to all residents.
– Independent analysis by Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited (IES) has compared CO2 emissions from Strata SE1 against the Building Regulations 2006 Part L2 targets. The result demonstrates that Strata SE1 (with the connection to the MUSCo system in place) will achieve a predicted 73.5% reduction in CO2 emissions when compared against the Building Regulations benchmark. This independent analysis also concludes that Strata SE1 is predicted to achieve 2050 CO2 target emissions.
Strata SE1 London – Building Information
Height: 148 metres (AGL)
Areas: 306,000 sq ft GEA ; 255,000 sq ft NIA
Total Development Cost: £113.5m
Project Status: Completing May 2010, 99% presold.
Strata SE1 – Team
Client: Brookfield Europe
Main Contractor: Brookfield Construction UK Ltd
Structural/ M&E Engineer, Acoustic Consultants, Fire Engineer: WSP Group
Environmental Advisor: URS Corporation Ltd
Construction Advisor: Brookfield Construction UK Ltd
Planning Supervisor: Construction Project Services UK Ltd
Planning Consultants: DP9
Development Manager: Brookfield Developments UK Ltd
Townscape Consultant: The Richard Coleman Consultancy
Aviation Consultant: Donald Butler Associates Ltd
Wind Engineer: RWDI-Anemos Ltd
Wind Turbine Designer/Manufacturer: Norwin AS
Cost Consultants: Gleeds
Strata Tower, Elephant & Castle images / information from BFLS
Location: Strata Tower, Elephant & Castle, London, England, UK
Contemporary London Architecture
London Architecture Designs – chronological list
London Architecture Walking Tours by e-architect
Spire London Docklands Tower
Design: HOK, Architects
image from architect
Spire London Docklands Tower
60-70 St Mary Axe
Design: Foggo Associates Architects
image courtesy of the architects
60-70 St Mary Axe Building
Strata Tower – Abu Dhabi
Strata Tower shortlisted for Carbuncle Cup, 23 Jul 2010
Serpentine Gallery Pavilion
Comments / photos for the Strata SE1 London Tower page welcome