International Architecture Competition of City Main Library Gwangju, South Korea
International Competition of City Main Library Gwangju, S. Korea
Architecture Development South Korea – design news
14 Nov 2019
International Competition of City Main Library Gwangju News
Location: South Korea
International Competition of City Main Library Gwangju in South Korea
City Main Library Gwangju: This competition is aimed to search for designs of a public library, which will serve as a main Library in Gwangju, Republic of Korea.
Schedule and Eligibility: The competition will be conducted for 74 working days from November 25, 2019 to February 5, 2020, and Korean and international architects can participate in it.
1)Preliminary Announcement: November 14, 2019
2)Announcement :November 25, 2019
3)Registration: November 25, 2019 to December 11, 2019
4)Entry Submission:February 7, 2020
5)Main Jury: February 12, 2020
Winners: 4 winning proposals will be selected. Competition winners will be a
warded as follows:
1)1st Prize- Design Development and Construction Document priority rights (Design fee will be posted on November 25, 2019)
2)2nd Prize- KRW 50 million
3)3rd Prize- KRW 2.5 million (each for 2 winners)
1) Thomas Vonier (UIA, President)
2) Robert Greenwood (Snohetta, Norway)
3) Min, Hyun Sik (Kiohun Architects, Korea)
4) Kim, Sung Hong(University of Seoul, Korea)
5)Choi, Moon-Gyu (Yonsei University, Korea)
6)Oh, Se Gyu (Chonnam Natinal University, Korea)
7)Choi, Kyung Yang(Hansem Architects Group, Korea)
1) Chung, Hyun A(DIA Architecture, Korea)
Program and Site
1) Public Library and Residents’ Sports Facilities: In the first stage site area of 10,200m2 out of 31,871㎡, a total ground area of 11,000㎡, the public library and residents’ sports facilities will be built.
2) Incineration Site: The library site is located in a garbage incineration site in the Sangmu district that was closed in 2016. The remaining incineration plant will be rebuilt as a complex cultural facility after remodeling.
3) Sangmu Complex Culture Community Town: Around the site, there are cultural facilities such as Sangmu Sculpture Park, Sangmu City Park, 518 Liberty Park, Kim Dae-jung Convention Center, and dedicated performance hall for Gukak(Korean Folk Music).
4) Sangmu District: Originally used as a military training facility, the Sangmu district is a new downtown district of Gwangju Metropolitan City that houses large-scale residential complexes and commercial facilities as well as administrative, financial and media organizations.
5) Gwangju Metropolitan City: Gwangju Metropolitan City is a central city of Honam area, which is located in the southwestern part of Republic of Korea. The city has a population of 1.46 million, and aims to be Asia’s mecca for culture. Also, Gwangju is the city where significant events in Korean modern history happened including the Gwangju Student Independence Movement and the 5.18 Democratic Movement.
International Competition of City Main Library Gwangju, S. Korea images / information received 141119
Location: South Korea, East Asia
Architecture in South Korea
Seoul Architectural Projects
Korean Architecture Designs – chronological list
Yangjaegogae Eco Bridge Design Competition, Seoul, Korea
Architects: KILD – Ksnelashvili . Išora . Lozuraitytė . Daunys
image from architect
Yangjaegogae Eco Bridge Design Competition by KILD
Seoul Creative Play Supporting Facility design by KILD architects
image from architect
Seoul Creative Play Supporting Facility Design Competition by KILD
Design: Foster + Partners
Korean Masterplan Competition
Gwanggyo City Centre Competition, near Seoul
image © MVRDV
Comments / photos for the International Competition of City Main Library Gwangju – South Korea Contest page welcome