Scandic Oceanhamnen Helsingborg Building, Scandic Hotels Group News, Swedish Architecture Photos, Architect
Scandic Oceanhamnen, Helsingborg Accommodation
23 May 2022
Location: Helsingborg, Scania, south west Sweden
Design: Juul Frost Arkitekter
Scandic Oceanhamnen now open – sustainability plays leading role from quay to rooftop terrace
Scandic Oceanhamnen Helsingborg Hotel
At the far end of the pier in the climate-smart district of Oceanhamnen, Scandic is pleased to announce the opening of its second hotel in Helsingborg, Scandic Oceanhamnen. The hotel, which has 184 rooms on 13 floors as well as a relaxation area and rooftop terrace, is located on the waterfront overlooking the Öresund sound. Scandic Oceanhamnen has been designed according to the Sweden Green Building Council Gold standard and has been certified by the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, the official ecolabel of the Nordic countries.
On May 23, Scandic Oceanhamnen became a new landmark in Helsingborg. Located at the end of the quay in the new climate-smart Oceanhamnen district, Scandic Oceanhamnen is nestled in a rapidly growing residential and commercial area just minutes from the city center. The hotel is also strategically located next to where the electric ferries operate between Helsingborg and Helsingør, strengthening Helsingborg as a hub in southern Sweden.
The hotel is ecolabeled according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel’s tough new criteria where, among other things, ecolabeled products and chemicals, 100 percent renewable electricity, absence of single-use packaging, low water consumption and a food & beverage offering with sustainability in focus provided the basis for certification.
At Scandic Oceanhamnen, guests can step directly from the pier into a welcoming hotel setting dominated by the panoramic view of the sound. The restaurant features locally produced seasonal ingredients and items on the menu are available as half and full portions to reduce food waste. The climate impact of each dish is provided. All wine and beer served in the hotel is organic, with much on tap to reduce use of bottles and cans.
– It’s fantastic to finally open the doors to Helsingborg’s newest hotel – a unique place to meet and stay for locals and far-flung guests alike. Scandic Oceanhamnen will have a central place on Helsingborg’s hotel map, not least with its spectacular rooftop terrace and relaxation area on the top floor – a space that residents, businesspeople, hotel guests and locals will be able to enjoy. Along with my team, I am very proud to be opening a new venue where people can meet, eat, enjoy the view and get a good night’s sleep with as little environmental impact as possible, says Elisabeth Persson, General Manager at Scandic Oceanhamnen.
Sustainability plays a central role at Scandic Oceanhamnen and it is reflected in the circular thinking in the construction of the building and the use of recycled materials in parts of the interior, from public areas to the hotel rooms. The building also features a unique three-pipe system for food waste, waste and water from toilets, bathtubs and showers, and wastewater from the hotel’s laundry facilities, which is transported directly to the new treatment plant in the area where it is used as a raw material to produce biofuel and nutrients for plants.
– Scandic Oceanhamnen is a milestone in our hotel portfolio. For us, it is important to not only look at a property’s environmental impact and longevity, but also ensure that we have as little impact as possible and address all aspects of environmental, social and economic sustainability. Scandic Oceanhamnen will also allow us to test new sustainability concepts that will hopefully become the standard and further strengthen our position when it comes to sustainability, says Magnus Ljungberg, Sustainability Director at Scandic Hotels.
Scandic Oceanhamnen will offer new opportunities for Swedish and Danish businesspeople to meet. With its proximity to Denmark, Helsingborg is an important hub for southern Sweden, and Scandic’s new hotel will add 184 hotel rooms and more conference and meeting facilities to a city where entrepreneurship and the population are growing. Unique to the hotel is Studio Ocean, a glassed-in space on the rooftop terrace and an idyllic venue for any meeting or private event.
– We’d been looking at expanding in Helsingborg for some time, and when Oceanhamnen and our real estate partner Granitor appeared on our radar, we felt it was the perfect fit. Helsingborg is an important driver in one of the Nordic region’s largest labor market regions, and we see a positive dynamic in the constellation of leisure and business travelers who travel to or pass through Helsingborg every year, says Peter Jangbratt, Head of Sweden at Scandic Hotels.
Now that Scandic Oceanhamnen has opened, Scandic operates a total of 424 hotel rooms in Helsingborg.
Scandic Oceanhamnen, Helsingborg Building, Sweden – Building information
• 13 floors
• Helsingborg’s highest rooftop terrace on the top floor
• Hotel space: ca 7,500 m2
• Height: 55.5 m
• Rooms: 184
• Family rooms: 56
• Accessible rooms: 18
• Animal-friendly rooms: 20
• Number of beds: 480
• Restaurant & bar seating: 120
• Coworking spaces: 12
• Conference rooms: 5
• Maximum capacity in largest conference room: 60
• Architect: Juul Frost Arkitekter
• Property owner: Granitor
• Construction year: 2018–2022
• Project developer: Allbygg i Höganäs AB
• Environmental certification: Nordic Swan Ecolabel and Swedish Green Building Council Gold
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone.
Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com
Scandic Oceanhamnen, Helsingborg Building images / information from Scandic Hotels Group AB, Stockholm, Sverige
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden, north east Europe
Buildings in Helsingborg
Helsingborg Building Designs
Råå Pre-school in Helsingborg
Design: Dorte Mandrup Arkitektert
photo : Adam Mørk
Råå Day Care Center Sweden
Design: Kjellander + Sjöberg Architects
image courtesy of architects practice
Trädgårdsstaden, Garden City in Helsingborg
Design: schmidt hammmer lassen architects
image courtesy of architecture studio
Helsingborg Hotel Building
Helsingborg Hospital Building
Design: schmidt hammer lassen
image from architect practice
Helsingborg Hospital Building
Architecture in Sweden
Swedish Architectural Designs – selection:
Swedish Architecture Designs – chronological list
Stockholm Architecture Walking Tours – tailored Swedish city walks by e-architect
Buildings / photos for the Scandic Oceanhamnen, Helsingborg Building design by Juul Frost Arkitekter page welcome