2A Asia Architecture Award 2016, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, Architectural Contest
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 News
2AAA Architectural Contest in Vienna, Austria: Building Innovation – Design
26 May 2016
2A Asia Architecture Award in 2016
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 – Contest
2AAA 2016 will be held in collaboration with Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
October 17, 2016
Theme: Innovative Architecture in Asia
2A Magazine is pleased to announce the second annual 2A Asia Architecture Award; 2AAA 2016, which celebrates “Innovative Architecture in Asia”. Accordingly, the Award is for recognition of an individual’s or group’s substantial contribution to today’s architecture in Asia in terms of contemporary challenges of the field in the region and lasting influence on the theory and practice of architecture.
This continent-wide award recognizes and acknowledges architects who have engaged in creating and designing buildings and cities in Asia originating from their specific cultural and geographical localities which possess specific characteristics attributable to their local origins.
2. Commercial (Office & Business, Retail and wholesale, Production)
3. Public (Sport & Leisure, Education, Hospitality, Culture, Mixed Use, Health,
4. Religion, Civic ,Transportation), and community-based projects
5. Urban Projects, Rural Projects, Landscape & Public Spaces (Including squares
6. and streets)
7. Old and New (Reuse and adaptation, Renovation, Restoration, Regeneration)
8. Interior Architecture
9. Future Projects / Innovative Designs
▪ Entry takes place in two stages and is free of charge.
▪ The submission process is completely digital and online.
▪ The project should have been built /located in one of the Asian countries.
▪ The project should have been completed on or after 01 January 2001 .
▪ For Future Projects/Innovative Design category entries, the design dates should not be older than 2001.
▪ The First Stage Entry opens on July 1, 2016 and closes on July 22, 2016 at 11:00
▪ p.m. EEST (UTC/GMT +3 hours).
▪ Categories 1 to 6 apply only to completed projects. Category 7 applies to design-only, future or uncompleted projects, including entries of regional and international competitions.
▪ All categories are open to practices of all sizes and there is no limit to the number of categories one can enter, however one project cannot be entered in two different categories.
▪ Winners of the 2AAA 2015 (first, second and third places, and special mentions) are not eligible to participate in the 2AAA 2016.
The following criteria will be considered to recognize and honor a built project/ future project in Asia that has produced significant contributions to humanity and built environment:
▪ Design achievement;
▪ Technical advancement, includes engineering achievements and innovative use of materials;
▪ Reflection of sense of place and of cultural identity and ecology;
▪ Environmental sustainability (including ecological, and socio-cultural sustainability)
▪ Social responsibility and community and urban connectivity;
▪ The effects of economical conditions on the project.
▪ Volkwin Marg – Architect, BDA. Dipl. Ing. Founder of von Gerkan, Marg and Partners.
▪ Nasrin Seraji – Architect, AA dipl RIBA. Dean of the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture Paris-Malaquais.
▪ Wolfgang Tschapeller – Architect, March. Head of the Institute of Art and Architecture, Vienna .
▪ Murat Tabanlıoğlu – Architect, RIBA. Chartered Member, Int’l Assoc AIA, Founder of Tabanlıoğlu Architects.
▪ Françoise Fromonot – Architect, Professor at the schools of architecture of Paris-Belleville. Founding member of Criticat.
▪ Hiromi Hosoya – Architect. Cofounder of Hosoya Schaefer Architects.
The Joint Presentation Ceremony by Asian and European Architects
The 2016 Award will be accompanied by an event taking place in Vienna in 17 October 2016 to foster and cerebrate the professional interaction between architects in Asia and Europe: A joint presentation by two eminent architects, one Asian-based and one European-based, will signify this notion.
▪ Nasrin Seraji, An European practicing architect and member of the jury board of 2AAA, Vienna 2016
▪ Bahram Shirdel, Architect based in Asia, Director of Shirdel & Associates Architects and urban planners, Member of the jury board of 2AAA, Istanbul 2015.
▪ Ahmad Zohadi, CEO of 2A Magazine and 2AAA
This unique event designed to inspire an architectural dialogue among Asian and European practitioners, all in one forum! Participants will have the opportunity to explore topics such as: The roots and history of their architecture, the effects of culture; history; and tradition on their architecture, the evolutionary process of their architecture, reviewing as a means of assessing contemporary architecture, the use of innovative technologies and sustainable methods in architecture and urban planning.
Awards and Exhibition:
▪ Category winners will be publicly announced in the award ceremony on October 17, 2016 at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
▪ At the same day of the event, All first-stage nominated entry boards will be displayed in an Exhibition at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
▪ The top two winners in each Award category will receive gold and silver medals, respectively.
▪ Upon Jury’s approving decision there might also be some special mentions in each category.
▪ The special mentions will receive certificates of recognition and memorial plaques.
▪ All first-stage nominated projects will be published in a special edition of 2A Magazine and extra pages will be allocated to the winners and special mentions.
▪ Names and a brief review of all entries will be published in the news part of website, after the event.
▪ Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
▪ 2A Magazine
▪ Ahmad Zohadi – Head of organizing committee and director of 2A Asia Architecture Award, Publisher & Editor in Chief of 2A Magazine.
▪ Golmar Khatibi- Vienna based Architect and teaches at the Academy of fine arts in Vienna.
▪ Marveh Farhoodi- M.Arch, editor of Sustainability Studies of 2A Magazine, member of advisory board of 2AAA 2015.
▪ Negar Kalantar- Ph.D in Architecture – Texas A&M University, editor of Architectural Science of 2A Magazine, member of advisory board of 2AAA 2015.
About 2A Magazine
2A Magazine is the Middle East regional source for information regarding architecture, design, and art. ‘2A’ intends to establish a polyphonic relationship with the professional, international audience and should therefore focus on structures that make this relationship possible within its most comprehensive form.
2A has always looked for new ways of looking at architecture and art, and has presented various themes, which have explored different dimensions of those fields. Understanding the significance of spirituality and other non-physical aspects of architecture, which have been neglected or in some places completely ignored, 2A is now focusing more on this theme, because we believe the future of architecture can be enriched if we incorporate the non-physical aspects into the physical designs. 2A as an international media in the Middle East wants to be a pioneer and promoter of this process.
For more information about 2A magazine please refer to magazine web site at: www.2amagazine.com
For complete information, more upcoming details of the event and registration, please visit award website at: www.asiaarch2a.com
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 Jury Members
RIBA, Chartered Member, Int’l. Assoc. AIA
– studied architecture at Vienna Technical University and graduated in 1992. He founded Tabanlıoğlu Architects in cooperation with Dr. Hayati Tabanlıoğlu in Istanbul in 1990
– As a jury member, in addition to his national and international contributions, such as at AIA and WAF, Mr. Tabanlioglu serves on the Master Jury for the 2013 Cycle of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture
AA dipl RIBA
– Dean of the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture Paris-Malaquais
– Professor of Ecology, Sustainability and Conservation, as well as Head of the Institute for Art and Architecture, Academy of Fine Art in Vienna through to 2012
– Professor and Chair of the Department of Architecture at Cornell University from 2001 to 2005
– She received the medal for Chevalier des Arts et des Letters from the Minister of Culture in France (2006) for her role as an architect contributing to excellence in art and humanities
Dr. Volkwin Marg
Dipl. Ing. Architekt, BDA
Volkwin Marg was born in 1936 in Königsberg/ East Prussia. He studied architecture in Berlin, Brunswick and Delft. Together with Meinhard on Gerkan he founded the architectural partnership of von Gerkan, Marg and Partners in 1965 which has grown into one of the most prestigious practices in the world and assumes responsibility for all phases of architectural projects.
– Master in Architecture from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY
– Professor of architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and as of 2012 he is the head of the Institute of Art and Architecture
– Contributions to the exhibition New Trends of Architecture in Europe and Asia-Pacific 2008 in Tokyo and 2010 in Istanbul, as part of the exhibition Sculptural Architecture in Austria at the National Art Museum of China in 2006
Partner of the Zurich-based architecture, urban design, and research firm Hosoya Schaefer Architects, founded with Markus
Schaefer in 2003. She received her Masters in Architecture from Harvard University and has since directed design studios at several universities, including the GSD. Hosoya Schaefer has won numerous international awards and is completing a broad spectrum of projects, including the Hafen-City in Hamburg, the Swiss National Exposition 2027, and the Swiss National Innovation Park.
– Professor at the schools of architecture of Paris-Belleville (History, Theory and Design)
– She was contributing editor of l’Architecture d’Aujourd’hui (1994-1998), co-editor in chief of the journal le Visiteur (1999-2003), and, in 2007, a founding member of Criticat
– Her extensive writings include monographs on Glenn Murcutt, Jørn Utzon, Marc Mimram, as well as numerous critical writings on contemporary urbanism
Binh Duong School, Vietnam
Design: Vo Trong Nghia Architects
photograph : Hiroyuki Oki
2A Asia Architecture Award Lecturers
Architect based in Asia,
Director of Shirdel & Associates
Architects and urban planners
Member of the jury board of
2AAA, Istanbul 2015
A European practicing
architect and member of the
jury board of 2AAA, Vienna
– Head of organizing committee
and director of 2A Asia
– Publisher & Editor in Chief of
– Head of organizing
committee of Center for the
Promotion of Sustainable
Buildings – Asia
Vienna based Architect and
teaches at the Academy of fine
arts in Vienna and member of
organizing committee of 2AAA
Architect & researcher
Editor of Sustainability Studies of
2A Magazine and member of
organizing committee of 2AAA
Ph.D in Architecture – Texas
Editor of Architectural Science
of 2A Magazine and member of
organizing committee of 2AAA
Bitexco Financial Tower, Ho Chi Minh City
picture : AREP Architects
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 – Contest News
Category: Commercial – First Place:
Category: Future Projects / Innovative Designs – First Place:
Category: Interior Design – First Place:
Category: Old and New (Reuse and adaptation, Renovation, Restoration, Regeneration) – First Place:
Category: Public (Sport & Leisure, Education, Hospitality, Culture, Mixed Use, Health, Religion, Civic, Transportation) – First Place:
Category: Residential – First Place:
Category: Urban Projects, Rural Projects, Community-based projects, Landscape & Public Spaces (Including squares and streets) – First Place:
2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 information / images received 260516
Leeds City Square Redevelopment Competition, England, UK
Leeds City Square Redevelopment Competition
Architecture Competition for Q-Village, Guangzhou, China
photo © Guangdong Hengguang Investment Co., Ltd.
Q-Village Architecture Competition
Photodemic Architecture Photography Competition 2020
Photodemic Architecture Photography Competition
Comments / photos for the 2A Asia Architecture Award 2016 – Architectural Contest page welcome