Wellington Railway Station, Architecture, Photos, Building, Design, Pictures
Wellington Railway Station Building, NZ
Transport Structure in the New Zealand Capital
15 Aug 2007
Railway Station Building New Zealand
Photos from Aug 2007 by architect Adrian Welch
The building opened on 19 June 1937. It is located on Bunny Street, just north of the Central Business District.
This railway station is the southern terminus of New Zealand’s North Island Main Trunk railway, Wairarapa Line and Johnsonville Line. In terms of number of services and in passenger numbers, it is New Zealand’s busiest railway station.
Wellington’s first station, Pipitea, was built in 1874 as part of the city’s first railway line, to the Hutt Valley, which opened that year. This station building burned down in 1878 and was replaced in 1880 by what became known as Lambton. Six years later a station later called Thorndon was built.
W. Gray Young, known for his neo-Georgian style of architecture, of Wellington architects Gray Young, Morton & Young, was selected in 1929 to design the new station. The building is a U-shaped structure with the longest leg 105.5 metres long.
Work commenced on site on January 1934 and the railway station was opened in 1937. In the same year the other two stations closed, namely Lambton and Thorndon.
Wellington Parliament building
picture © Adrian Welch
Location: Wellington Railway Station, New Zealand
New Zealand Architecture
Contemporary New Zealand Buildings
New Zealand Architecture Designs – chronological list
Comments / photos for the Wellington Railway Station Architecture page welcome