Brooklyn Arts Tower New York BAM District

posted in: New York buildings | 0

Brooklyn Arts Tower, BAM New York, Academy of Music Architecture Images, NY Project News

Brooklyn Tower, BAM District

NY Building Proposal design by Behnisch Architekten + StudioMDA

14 Jan 2008

Brooklyn Arts Tower

Behnisch Architekten win competition in Brooklyn, New York

A total of 187 housing units, over half of them affordable to low-, moderate- and middle-income families, will be accommodated in the new Brooklyn Arts Tower in the BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) district, New York. Brooklyn is often referred to as the creative capital of America, a place preferred by artists and those who thrive on cultural activities.

Brooklyn Arts Tower New York BAM District
image from Behnisch Architekten / StudioMDA

Rather than expressing a monolithic tower, often associated with unsuccessful housing projects of the 80s, the architects propose a 120 m height building composed of five stacked mid-rise “Sky-Communities”.

While some apartments have private terraces, balconies and wintergardens, all apartments have access to the communal gardens adjacent to shared building amenities. The multi-stacked typology and the scale of the five communities of mid-rise buildings relates to Brooklyn’s urban fabric and the immediate neighbourhood.

Brooklyn Arts Tower New York buiding design by Behnisch architects
picture from architects

A variety of features ensure low energy consumption and healthy living.
15% of the apartments will be for sale, the other 85% for rent.

Architecture Competition 2007, 1st prize
Behnisch Architekten with StudioMDA

Brooklyn Arts Tower images / information from Behnisch Architekten

Brooklyn Arts Tower architect : Behnisch Architekten

Location: Brooklyn, New York City, USA

New York Architecture

Contemporary New York Buildings

NYC Architecture Designs – chronological list

New York Architectural Walking Tours by e-architect

New York City Architecture Designs – chronological list

New York Architecture News

New York Architects Offices

New York Architecture – Selection

Brooklyn Bridge Competition Design
Brooklyn Bridge Design by DXA studio
image courtesy of architects
Brooklyn Bridge Design by DXA studio

SAR Academy, Modern Orthodox Jewish Day School, Jesselson Campus, 655 West 254th Street Riverdale, NY 10471, USA
Design: architects Esther Sperber and Hila Stern
SAR Academy, Modern Orthodox Jewish Day School in Bronx
image courtesy of architecture studio
SAR Academy, Orthodox Jewish Day School

56 Leonard Street
Herzog & de Meuron
56 Leonard Street

Manhattan Tower : BLUE Residential Tower

New York Architecture

Brooklyn Bridge New York

Brooklyn Bridge Park Building

Brooklyn Children’s Museum

Brooklyn College – West Quad

New York Skyscrapers

Visit New York City

Comments / photos for the Brooklyn Arts Tower New York Architecture design by Behnisch Architekten + StudioMDA page welcome