Magasin du Nord Store, Copenhagen Department, Danish Retail Architecture, Building, Photos
Magasin du Nord Copenhagen
Kongens Nytorv Retail Outlet, Denmark: Danish Department Store in French Renaissance Revival style
page updated 3 Sep 2016
Magasin du Nord
Danish department store on Kongens Nytorv
Address: Kongens Nytorv 13, 1095 København, Danmark
Phone: +45 33 11 44 33
Date built: 1894
Architects: Henri Glæsel and Albert Jensen ; Executive architect: Olaus Mynster
In 1870 the Aarhus drapers Emil Vett & Co opened a shop in Copenhagen. It was located in rented rooms in the mondain Hotel du Nord on Kongens Nytorv where Hans Christian Andersen had boarded from 1838 until 1847.
The shop occupied an ever larger part of the hotel and the company adopted the name Magasin du Nord after it in 1879. In 1876 the two owners also founded a textile manufactury in Nørrebro, Vett, Wessel & Fiala, which later moved to Østerbro where it also produced textiles for furniture.
By 1889, Magasin du Nord had taken over the entire hotel. It was demolished in 1893 together with a neighbouring building.
The current department store building was completed in 1894 in a French Renaissance Revival style to designs by the architects Henri Glæsel and Albert Jensen. The executive architect was Olaus Mynster.
Magasin du Nord context : Kongens Nytorv
Magasin du Nord is at the east end of the famous Strøget Copenhagen:
Magasin du Nord Building Photos © Adrian Welch
Copenhagen Architecture Designs – chronological list
Shop Buildings – images + designs from around the world
Hotel d’Angleterre renovation : C. F. Møller Architects
image from architect
Copenhagen Building News – Selection
Taastrup Theatre Building : design by COBE
photograph : Stamers Kontor
CinemaxX KBH, Copenhagen, Denmark : CEBRA
photograph from architect
Vartov Square, Copenhagen : Hackett Hall McKnight Architects
image from architects
Comments / photos for the Copenhagen Department Store page welcome
Magasin du Nord Copenhagen – page
Website: Magasin du Nord