President’s Medals 2021 News, Royal Institute of British Architects Student Awards, Design, England, UK
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2021
29 July 2021
RIBA reveals judges for the 185th President’s Medals
RIBA announces judges for 2021 President’s Medals
Thursday 29th of July 2021 – The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has revealed the judges for the 185th President’s Medals, the world’s most prestigious awards in architectural education. The medals are now open for entry to architecture students around the world.
This year the RIBA is inviting the highest ever number of schools of architecture to participate in the awards – 442 schools (111 of which are RIBA validated), located in 85 countries.
The 2021 judging panels will select the winners of the Dissertation Medal, Bronze Medal and Silver Medal and up to three commendations in each category, as well as the Serjeant Awards for Excellence in Drawing and of the RIBA Awards for Sustainable Design.
The panel for the Dissertation Medal comprises:
- Chair: Lesley Lokko– Founder & Director of the African Futures Institute in Accra, Ghana; Visiting Professor at the Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL
- Emanuel Admassu– Assistant Professor at the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation of Columbia University, USA
- Hugh Campbell– Head of the School of Architecture of University College Dublin, Ireland
- Emma Cheatle– Senior Lecturer of Architecture at the University of Sheffield, UK
- Yesomi Umolu – Director of Curatorial Affairs and Public Practice at the Serpentine Galleries, London, UK
The Bronze Medal panel comprises:
- Chair: Tracy Meller– Partner at Rogers Stirk Harbour & Partners; Honorary Professor of Architecture at the University of Nottingham, UK
- Ben Cowd – Co-Founding Partner of Saraben Studio; Subject Head – Postgraduate Architecture at the Leicester School of Architecture, UK
- Angela Dapper– Principal Architect at Grimshaw, UK
- David Howarth– Co-founder of DRDH Architects, UK
- Rossana Hu– Founding Partner at Neri & Hu, China
- David Ogunmuyiwa– Mayor’s Design Advocate at Greater London Authority; Founder and Partner at Architecture Doing Place, UK
The panel for the Silver Medal comprises:
- Chair: Tracy Meller – as above, UK
- Simon Allford – RIBA President Elect; Co-Founder and Director at Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, UK
- Harry Charrington – Head of the School of Architecture and Cities at the University of Westminster, UK
- Ed Frith – Master of Architecture Course Leader at the Arts University Bournemouth, UK
- Lina Ghotmeh – Founder and Principal Architect at Lina Ghotmeh Architecture, France
- Mina Hasman – Associate Director & Sustainability Lead at Skidmore Owings & Merrill Europe
Judging of the three awards will begin in October 2021 and winners will be announced in the first week of December 2021.
RIBA President Elect Simon Allford said:
“I am delighted to join the judging panel of the 2021 RIBA Silver Medal, 35 years after I was jointly nominated in the same category with Jonathan Hall, Paul Monaghan, and Peter Morris – a moment that marked the inception of AHMM. These awards are an important celebration of student endeavour and provide a valuable architectural archive. I look forward to joining the esteemed judges to select the world’s best work, produced by talented and hardworking students from across the globe.”
The Bronze and Silver Medals are awarded to the best design projects completed by students during, respectively, RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 courses (or equivalent), whereas the Dissertation Medal rewards accomplished written work produced at either RIBA Part 1 or Part 2 (or equivalent).
For more information on the 2021 President’s Medals, and to view the work of past winners and nominees visit: www.presidentsmedals.com.
The RIBA President’s Medals were established in 1836 and are the RIBA’s oldest awards, regarded as the most prestigious awards in architectural education worldwide. The RIBA is committed to supporting students through its bursaries and scholarships programme and celebrating excellence in architectural education. RIBA Future Architects is our network and community for future and emerging architects, designed to support, inspire and provide a voice during the transition from study to practice. Follow us on Instagram @RIBAEducation for advice and information about studying architecture, exclusive events and opportunities.
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2020 information / images received 290721
Previously on e-architect
RIBA President’s Medals
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2020 Winners
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2020 Silver Medal winner Robert Beeny, University of Westminster, for Devil’s Valley Geothermal Co-operative:
photos courtesy of RIBA
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2020
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2018 Winners
RIBA Silver Medal winner Sonia Magdziarz, Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL:
photo courtesy of RIBA
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2018
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2016 Winners
photo courtesy of RIBA
RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards 2016
Comments / photos for the RIBA President’s Medals 2021 page welcome