MIPIM AR Future Project Awards 2012, Buildings, Projects, News, Design Property Image
AR Future Projects Awards : 2012
MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards Winners
6 Feb 2012
MIPIM AR Future Project Awards Winners 2012
10th Annual MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards Winners
Brazil’s Girrasol Building named Overall Winner of the MIPIM AR Future Project Awards
Isay Weinfeld’s São Paolo project also wins Residential gong in prestigious competition
London, 6th February 2012 – A distinctive residential block formed by unevenly cascading levels situated on a sloping topography in São Paulo, has been named the Overall Winner in the 10th annual MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards.
The project, which also won in the Residential Category, was selected by a panel of expert judges from among 143 entries submitted from all over the world as the overall winner of the competition.
Designed by Isay Weinfeld for Idea!Zarvos, the Girrasol Building is located on the edge of Vila Madalena, a suburb of São Paolo. The building is situated between two streets with a 19 meter displacement between them, and is designed to sit harmoniously within the area’s sloping topography.
The unevenly cascading levels of the building are designed to follow the existing contour of the terrain, resulting in several configurations of floor plans and layouts suitable for a variety of different living options, each offering unimpeded views of the west side of the city.
The Judges said that the Girrasol Building stood out “as an example of seemingly effortless architecture which nevertheless deals with a series of difficult universal issues. The result sings.’
Three other projects were Commended by the judges in the Residential category, including Cambridge Greens at Ramanujan IT City, Chennai, India by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; Royal Road affordable housing, Southeast London by panter hudspith architects; and Wafra Living complex, Kuwait by AGi Architects.
The MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards, which mark their 10th anniversary this year, have this year named ten project winners across ten categories, with projects hailing from China, Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark. Turkey was the most successful country this year, with no less than four winning projects all located in Istanbul, while Abu Dhabi saw two successful projects in the competition. A further 14 projects were awarded a “Highly Commended” prize.
The awards programme uniquely focuses on building designs for projects awaiting construction or still on the drawing board, celebrating exemplar architectural design and impressive responses to the client brief. The awards now form the centrepiece architecture event during the annual MIPIM conference and exhibition.
The judging panel was chaired by Paul Finch, Editorial Director of The Architectural Review; Roger Zogolovitch, Director AZ Urban Studios; Peter Stewart, Peter Stewart Consultancy; and Sutherland Lyall, author and critic.
Paul Finch, the director of the MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards, said, “It’s been another great year for the awards, and some very impressive high quality projects have been submitted. It’s interesting that this year no less than four of the winning projects are intended for Istanbul, and two for Abu Dhabi. It certainly seems to be the year of the Middle East in 2012. Our overall winner is also a very impressive and imaginative residential scheme intended for a young and bohemian suburb of São Paolo. However, UK projects have also fared very well in this Olympic year, with three great commendations for projects in London.”
MIPIM AR Future Project Awards 2012 Winners
Big Urban Projects
• Winner – N+ Masterplan, Ningbo, China designed by PLP Architecture for Thee Fashion Hub
• Commended – Number One Oxford Street, London by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris for Derwent London
• Commended – Valencia Parque Central, Spain by Gustafson Porter (lead architect) for Sociedad Valencia Parque Central
• Winner – Cendere Valley Urban Design Project, Istanbul, Turkey by Emre Arolat Architects for Kayader
• Commended – FSIS School, State of Kuwait by AGi Architects for Fawzia Sultan Educational Company (FAWSEC)
• Commended – Green School Stockholm, Sweden by 3XN
• Winner – Siemens Middle East Headquarters, Masdar City, Abu Dhabi, by Sheppard Robson for Siemens • Commended – Boulevard MacDonald Warehouse, Paris by Odile Decq Benoit Cornette for SNC
• Commended – Louis Dreyfus Armateurs, Suresnes, France, by Atelier Zündel Cristea for Louis Dreyfus Armateurs
• Winner – GDKP, Gedikpaşa, Istanbul, Turkey by Gokhan Avcioglu & GAD for Fatih Municipality
• Commended – The Wharves Deptford, London by HawkinsBrown for City and Provincial Properties
• Winner – Girrasol Building, Sao Paolo, Brazil by Isay Weinfeld for Idea!Zarvos (also Overall Winner)
• Commended – Cambridge Greens at Ramanujan IT City, Chennai, India by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP for Tril Infopark Limited
• Commended – Royal Road affordable housing, Southeast London by panter hudspith architects for Sutton
• Commended – Wafra Living complex, Kuwait by AGi Architects for Wafra Real Estate Co
Retail and Leisure
• Winner – Al Ain Stadium, Abu Dhabi by MZ architects for Al Dar Properties
• Commended – Club de Loisir, Safi, Morocco by Moxon Architects Limited for OCP Group Morocco
• Commended – Hongxing Macalline Flagship Store, Beijing by Nonchi Wang for Hongxing Macalline Furniture
• Winner – Tao Tower, Istanbul, Turkey by Suyabatmaz Demirel Architects for Tao
• Commended – Taiwan Tower, Taichung, Taiwan by Moxon Architects Limited for Taichung City Government
• Winner – Rope Factory Lofts, Istanbul, Turkey by Suyabatmaz Demirel Architects for Mursit Unat
• Commended – Prague Market Promenade, Czech Republic by CMC Architects for Delta Center
• Winner – Plus Energy Prefab House, Pila, Poland by Lech Wojtasik for ESC Sp z.o.o.
Judges Special Prize
• Winner – Amagerforbrænding Waste to Energy Plant, Copenhagen, Denmark by BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group for Amagerforbraending
This year’s awards will be presented during a gala ceremony and dinner held at JW Marriott, Cannes on 7th March during the annual MIPIM conference and exhibition. Booking information is available from the mipimarfutureprojects.com website.
All award entries will also be featured on the Architectural Review area of the London Pavilion, and published in a special edition of the Architectural Review which is distributed to all registered MIPIM delegates.
The MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards are organised in participation with EMAP Inform, and are supported by AET Flexible Space, Bespoke, Emirates Glass and HKR, with FTI Consulting the communications partner.
MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards 2010 images / information received Feb 2012
Location: MIPIM, Cannes, France
MIPIM Asia Awards 2010
logon win Special Jury Award
photo from architects
MIPIM Asia Awards 2010
Brit Insurance Design Awards : 2010 Shortlist
French Building Designs
French Architectural Designs – architectural selection below:
French Architecture Design – chronological list
100% wooden house, Château de la Bourdaisière, Montlouis-sur-Loire
Design: LOCAL and Suphasidh Studio
photo : Atelier Vincent Hecht
100% wooden house Montlouis-sur-Loire
Théâtre “Legendre” in Evreux
Design: OPUS 5 architectes
Théâtre Legendre Evreux
Comments / photos for the MIPIM AR Future Project Awards 2012 page welcome
Website: MIPIM AR Future Project Awards